There are a lot of advantages associated with using a self-storage facility to keep items that you are not using on a regular or daily basis, but still want to keep or use for special occasions. However, if you are not familiar with the use of affordable garage storage and want to learn how to maximize this opportunity, it is important to take some time to review the tips and suggestions from others who have used this service. Anything you want to learn about, from choosing the best storage unit locks to picking the best size storage unit, organizing your things and using a storage unit for seasonal items, can all be found right here in our educational and informative blog.
However, when it comes to finding tips that are designed specifically for using affordable storage in Fall River during the winter months, you might have to dig a little harder. For residents in the South Coast area of New England, which includes Southeastern Massachusetts and Rhode Island, using a storage or doing anything else in the cold and frozen winter months, can be a completely different proposal. Learning all the ins and outs of storage, finding out what can be safely stored – and what should never be stored – during these months, can be a huge advantage.
Why Choose Self-Storage?
It can be extremely beneficial to have an extra place that you can use to store things that you don’t use every day to prevent clutter. Putting seasonal items away after the holidays is something that we all do and packing away our sweaters when the warm days of spring arrive is a chore that our mothers ingrained in us from the time we were little, but renting a space at your local self-storage facility to keep these items might be a completely new proposal. However, once you see how much easier it is to just switch out all of your seasonal things at a local affordable garage storage unit, you might wonder why you never thought to do it before.
Some of the seasonal “winter” items that people store include:
- holiday decorations – lights, figurines, ornaments, artificial trees, etc.
- holiday wrapping paper, cookie tins and other seasonal tools
- winter clothing – sweaters, warm pants, boots, scarves, mittens, gloves, coats, etc.
- winter gear – shovels, sleds, skis, snow blowers, snow plows
- seasonal home items like storm windows, storm doors and shutters
- automotive gear – snow tires, chains, safety items, etc.
These are just a few of the examples of things that people typically use during the winter months in New England, that they don’t use during the rest of the year. If you have a lot of closet space and storage at your home, you might not think that you need to rent affordable storage in Fall River for these items. However, when you consider that you only use these things for a few months out of the year, it makes sense to put them away in storage rather than have them take up valuable real estate in your home, shed, basement or garage for seven to nine months when they aren’t in use.
Tips for Best Results
Because many of the items that you will be storing for winter use are used outdoors, it pays to properly prepare them before placing them into storage. Check with the self-storage facility about any restrictions for storing motorized tools and items, such as snow-blowers, to ensure that you take the proper precautions. Removing the fuel and oil are common requirements, but make sure to speak with the manager or on-site representative to avoid any issues.
- Repair any items that broke or required maintenance during use. It will be much more convenient next winter to pull things out ready to use. Take time to inspect each item to make sure that it is in good condition before packing it up and storing it away.
- Make sure to clean items, particularly shovels, sleds and other things that can get dirty during use. You don’t want to track it all into your affordable storage in Fall River and find out that the dirt, salt and residue affected other important items that you store.
- Properly pack winter clothes and other items to keep them clean, fresh and ready for use when you unpack them again next year. It is worth the effort to do all of your washing and pack things in sealed containers or plastic bags inside of storage boxes.
- Protect fragile items or items that could become damaged when you rummage through your self-storage facility unit throughout the year. Use plastic tarps or woolen covers, storage and packing blankets or bubble wrap as needed to keep it safe.
- Speak with the facility manager about any water or dampness issues that you might want to prepare for ahead of time. Areas with high humidity might benefit with the use of “damp rid” type products that absorb excess humidity to protect stored items.
Contact Affordable Storage in Fall River
If you are interested in renting affordable garage storage or space for your winter items, visit Affordable Storage in Fall River. We are a safe and secure self-storage facility located in Fall River, Massachusetts and we serve customers throughout the South Coast region. We have everything you need on-site to store and protect your belongings, from top quality storage unit locks to Budget truck rentals, give us a call at 508-675-1177. Ask about our RV, boat, motorcycle and car storage options as well at our clean and well-maintained facility.